"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." ~ John 17:3
Working To Know Jesus
How do we show we know Jesus? Walking through the church doors each Sunday isn't enough. Jesus has called us into action and the purpose of the church is to help you build a better understanding of and relationship with Jesus Christ, and to be an example and witness to others outside of the church grounds.
We believe there are five key areas where we as the church can reach out to members and guests and help support and build them up to be strong, educated and motivated Christians. These five pillars or our focus as a church are Socializing, Singing, Studying, Serving, and Spreading the gospel of Jesus. Our responsibility is to provide the congregation and community with opportunities to grow and serve in these five areas.
1. Socializing - is where we welcome others to our activities and into Christian fellowship. It is the first element that new visitors experience when attending any ICC activity or event. Through socializing, we show how we treat each other and the love that we have for our congregation.
“Anyone who welcomes you welcomes me, and anyone who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me." ~ Matthew 10:40 (NIV)
2. Singing is where we praise and worship God and prepare our hearts to learn. Singing is also how we outwardly show our love for Jesus and the gifts and blessings he has provided us. Our church community is centered on Love because the God that we worship is centered on love. An understanding of God’s Love leads us into a deeper relationship.
"I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live." ~ Psalm 146:2
3. Studying the Bible gives us more details to who God is and what he asks of us. This is where we build the foundation of what constitutes a Christian life and develop a deeper understanding for the life, death and resurrection of Jesus and understand baptism and the need for redemption. Also it is where people lay hold of the scriptural foundation for our five key actions for a healthy Christian life.
4. Serving is study and singing (worship) in action. A person becomes an active part in our church by teaching or helping in a class, serving or performing communion meditation, sponsoring a group of kids and learning about discipleship, and also being outspoken about who Christ is and what he has done.
"If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ." ~ 1 Peter 4:11
5. Spreading the gospel of Jesus. The purpose of being a Christian isn't to go to church to be entertained through music, classes, sermons, and fellowship with others. Everything we do is preparation to make ourselves and our congregation better and better prepared to do the one ultimate thing that Jesus has called us to do - to go out of our comfort zone and take personal action to help spread the Gospel to others.
Without this as one of our core values and actions, our church would be no more than a source of entertainment and we would fail in living up to Jesus' example and calling. Jesus has challenged us to be "fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19) and it is our duty and great joy to share his story, teachings, wisdom, sacrifice and eternal love with others.